Saturday, August 7, 2010

My warm up routine (Part two of infinity)

Moving right along, this is the exercise I use for focusing on my right hand. Same deal as before, alternate picking and be sure to start slowly and watch for mistakes. And also pretend it goes all the way up and down the neck because typing out a lot of dashes is ass.

---7---9---10---12---7----9----10-----12
-0---0---0----0-----8---8----8------8-----

Followed by

------7-7------9-9------10-10--------12-12------7-7--------9-9-
-0-0------0-0------0-0----------0-0----------8-8------8-8-------  And so on

Followed by
---------7-7-7---------9-9-9----------10-10-10-
-0-0-0----------0-0-0---------0-0-0------------- You get the idea.

Then groups of four
----------7-7-7-7------------9-9-9-9----------
-0-0-0-0----------0-0-0-0------------0-0-0-0- And on and on and on.


Left hand fingering is entirely optional. This is just a generic thrash-metally progression since I'm a generic thrash metally guitarist. The important thing about picking is economy of motion. I know the Green Day, sawing at the guitar from the elbow or shoulder may look cool in a juvenile, pop-punk attention whore kind of way, but it's retarded for anything other than juvenile pop-punk. Pick from the wrist. Something I had to teach myself, just to get the right idea, was anchoring my right forearm to the guitar and holding it with my left hand while I picked palm muted open strings, just to see how much it was wiggling. Turns out all the extra movement was slowing me down.

Once again, gradually speed this up until your right hand gets warm, but not hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment